Search for insurance help

What is Motorcycle Insurance?

Like motor insurance for your car, a Motorcycle Insurance policy covers damage to your bike, others property and your liability as the rider. 
There are three types of motorcycle insurances in Australia - Comprehensive, Third Party Fire & Theft, and Third Party Property Damage. Thinking about your bike and circumstances - i.e. whether there is finance involved, young or even elderly drivers, what sort of driving will you do etc - is important in determining what sort of cover will be best for you. 
1. Comprehensive (or the whole kit and kaboodle)This provides repair or replacement cover for damage to your motorcycle, as well as other vehicles and property (if you back into your neighbours letterbox for example). It is usually accidental damage, and includes theft, fire, legal liability and usually a host of additional benefits (like cover for riding apparel, and emergency accommodation etc) that are automatically included or optional covers that you can add in for extra premium.2. Third Party Property Damage (the basics)Good old bomb insurance - covers damage to other vehicles and property, but not your own motorcycle. Just plain and simple legal liability. 3. Third Party Fire & Theft (a bit of both)An option a lot of younger drivers take out that provides the basic legal liability protection of Third Party Property Damage and adds cover for theft of your motorcycle and fire. It’s not going to cover damage as a result of an accident with another vehicle or impact by an animal for example, but if the motorcycle is stolen from out the front of the pub on Saturday night, at least you’re covered!
What is Compulsory Third Party (CTP) and why do I need it?
This is a mandatory requirement for all registered vehicle owners in Australia. In most States (in fact all except for NSW where it is a separate requirement to vehicle registration and insurance), this is included in your registration costs and is not a separate policy you need to take out. It is not the same as third party insurance, as is often thought, but is there to protect any person you might injure with your motorcycle or as a result of a vehicle accident. You still should have a motor insurance policy to provide cover for physical damage to your motorcycle, and others property.
Working with a broker is the easiest way to find the most appropriate cover for your motorcycle and riding needs. Contact Laura Meyer to discuss your next renewal or new bike purchase.
General Advice Warning: This advice is general and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider whether the advice is appropriate for you and your personal circumstances. Before you make any decision about whether to acquire a certain product, you should obtain and read the relevant product disclosure statement.

All information above has been provided by the author.

Laura Meyer, MeyerInsure, ABN 87 340 928 486, AFSL 233750

This article originally appeared on MeyerInsure - Blog and has been published here with permission.

Related articles

Comments (0)