What is Lifestyle & Hobby Farm Insurance?

What is Lifestyle & Hobby Farm Insurance?

January 12, 2021 Views: 1089
  • SHARE:

Do you live on a property larger than 5 acres? You may need to consider a few extra aspects to your insurance than you would with a standard home and contents policy.

Most home and contents insurers have a limit on the land size allowed under their standard home and contents policy. Five acres is generally the limit before they start to get antsy about the use of the property, liability exposure and farm machinery for example.

If you’re on acres, even if you don’t have animals or farm buildings, you still have a liability exposure on the land. Think someone falling into your dam, or injuring themselves on something lying in the back paddock. You’ve also likely to have more fencing than the average suburban house block, and if you’ve ever replaced a large enough portion of fencing, you know how expensive that can be!


Why do I need a special policy?

There are policies out there that are specifically geared for hobby farm or lifestyle property risks. They take into consideration how you use the property and what physical property you want to cover. 

A small or hobby farm policy will cover off your home and contents under a domestic section (with all the bells and whistles of a standard home and contents policy available if you want those), as well as any non-domestic property (sheds, stables etc), machinery and improvements, your public liability and a host of other standard inclusions.


Can I have animals or livestock? Or earn an income from the property?

If you have a few horses, or maybe a small handful of sheep to keep the grass down, you have added liability exposure than if you didn’t have animals or livestock. Consider what would happen if your fences weren’t in good condition and a horse got out onto the road, causing a car accident. You could be held personally liable for the damages. This is where your standard home and contents policy is unlikely to fit the situation adequately and a farm policy is a better option.

A small or hobby farm insurance policy will also allow you to earn a small amount each year before you’re looking at needing a primary producing level policy. You might earn a bit of money from agistment, or raise a small amount of sheep or cattle to sell each year and this is usually fine however all insurers have different amounts you can earn before they don’t class you as a hobby or small farm any longer.

There are a number of good options in the market, however working closely with a broker to identify where your exposures are, and determine the best policy fit is the best way to ensure you and your property are appropriately covered.

General Advice Warning: This advice is general and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider whether the advice is appropriate for you and your personal circumstances. Before you make any decision about whether to acquire a certain product, you should obtain and read the relevant product disclosure statement.

Laura Meyer, MeyerInsure, ABN : 87 340 928 486, AFSL : 233750 , AR Number: 1284200

This article originally appeared on MeyerInsure - Blog and has been published here with permission.

Advisr does not provide advice and does not hold a financial service license (AFSL). All information above has been provided by Laura Meyer.

Like what you're reading? Subscribe to our top stories.

Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.

  • SHARE:
Written by

Laura Meyer

Comments (0)