- Don't update your social network with holiday snaps until you return. Likewise, no need to announce that you're going away online anywhere.
- Securing your home - lock all access ways into your home (windows and doors) and ensure that your curtains are drawn
- Ask a trusted neighbour (or two) if they can keep an eye on your home and collect any newspapers or other items that may be delivered during this time
- Consider arranging a house sitter
- Redirect mail - did you know that you can arrange for the Post Office to hold your mail while you are away?
- Mow your lawn prior to leaving. If you are likely to be away for an extended period perhaps arrange for someone to do it whilst you are away to keep up the appearance of a "lived in home"
- Arrange for your lights and TV/radio to come on with a sensor or automatic timer
- Turn off the water mains to the house if nobody will be staying - a common insurance claim is a burst or leaking pipe and no-one wants to return from holidays with their house resembling a swimming pool!
- If you are going away during cyclone, storm or bushfire season turn off your gas and power and lock away or tie any loose items
- Turn off all electrical devices. If possible, it is also a good idea to unplug the item
- Secure any valuable items in a secure or hidden location. This would also include the precious memories you have stored on your laptop or hard drive
- Photograph your travel documents - passport, itinerary etc. Consider sending a copy to a relative
- Photograph your suitcase contents, particularly if there are valuable item/s within it - this will assist in the event of a claim
- Obtain travel insurance, check the exclusions and conditions. Are you hiring a scooter, skiing or have pre-existing medical conditions? These are some of the common things that are excluded or limited
- Register with Smartraveller and check the potential issues in the country that you are travelling
Going away? Home security checklist
First of all, if you are heading away to a lovely destination - I am very envious!! There are many things to consider before you head away for a holiday to ensure that you have a well deserved, relaxing, stress-free break. Some of these are:
Advisr does not provide advice and does not hold a financial service license (AFSL). All information above has been provided by Clare Smith.
Like what you're reading? Subscribe to our top stories.
Thank you for your comment!
You have already left a comment for this article!
Liability Insurance Business Insurance Professional Indemnity Insurance Property Insurance Insurance Claim Premium Funding Marketing Services Insurance Professional Services Insurance Legal Services Insurance Manufacturing Insurance
Liability Insurance Property Insurance Workers Compensation Insurance Truck Insurance Business Interruption Insurance Professional Services for Trades Insurance Property and Construction Insurance Construction Insurance Contractor Insurance Heavy Machinery Insurance Transport & Logistics Insurance